Records Related to Augusta County Regiments

From: W. N. PENDLETON, Brig. Gen. and Chief of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia.
February 28, 1865.

Army of Northern Virginia Artillery Chief William Pendleton reports on the role the artillery played in August-December, 1864, fighting. Pendleton describes refitting and reorganizing some commands at Staunton for use in the August, 1864, offensives in the Shenandoah Valley. He also mentions sending troops into winter quarters near Staunton in December.

Lieut. Col. W. H. TAYLOR,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Army of Northern Virginia.

February 28, 1865.


About August 10, Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's division of cavalry having received orders to join Gen. Early in the Valley, Johnston's and Shoemaker's batteries marched with the division, Capt. Johnston in command, Maj. Breathed having been wounded in a skirmish on June 29. This force reached Front Royal on August 14, and henceforward participated in Gen. Early's campaign. Nothing material occurred on the Petersburg line until August 18. On that day Brander's battery, Pegram's battalion, accompanied Heth's division and was warmly engaged in an attack upon the enemy at the Davis house, on the Weldon railroad. The next day Lieut.-Col. Pegram was sent with three of his batteries to co-operate with Gen.'s Heth and Mahone in another attack at the same point. His battalion again participated on the 21st in an attack at Poplar Spring Church. Again on the 24th Col. Pegram was directed with Brander's and Cayce's batteries, of his own battalion, Ross', of Lane's, and sections of Hurt's and Clutter's, of McIntosh's to accompany the column sent to attack the enemy at Reams' Station, on the Weldon railroad. Success was marked on this occasion, and due in no small degree to the efficiency of Col. Pegram and the good conduct of his officers and men.

From September 14 to 30 Hart's and McGregor's batteries, and Graham's previously connected with Gen. Beauregard's command, participated in several spirited affairs of the cavalry on our right flank, under command of Gen. Hampton. Desultory skirmishing continued along the lines during this month and the following with no further movement of importance till September 29. On that day the enemy commenced more vigorous operations on the north side of James River, and succeeded in carrying, chiefly by surprise, a commanding salient of our works, known as Fort Harrison, not far from Chaffin's Bluff. To meet this advance of the enemy, forces were promptly moved from Petersburg. Maj. Johnson, of McIntosh's battalion, marched the same evening in command of Clutter's battery, of his own battalion, and the Fredericksburg Artillery, of Pegram's battalion, and the next morning Haskell's battalion moved also to co-operate with the troops north of the James. Gen. Alexander accompanied the expedition to command the artillery. Lieut.-Col. Hardaway, commanding his own battalion, and Maj. Stark's, previously of Lieut.-Col. Pemberton's command, reported at once to Gen. Alexander. The field artillery on that line had been left in his charge, when Col. Carter repaired under orders on September 2 to Gen. Early's army in the Valley as his chief of artillery in place of Gen. Long, disabled by sickness. These battalions (Hardaway's and Stark's, Haskell's and Johnson's) constituted an effective artillery force for operations on that front. Hardaway's and Stark's battalions co-operated as far as practicable, though, from the nature of the ground and the course of the lines and the position of the enemy, they could accomplish but little in the unsuccessful attempt to recover Fort Harrison on the 30th; and in the attack, resumed for the same purpose on October 1 Haskell's guns were added to them and posted as favorably as possible, Lamkin's company, experienced in mortar practice at Petersburg, having charge of a number of mortars. The attack being abandoned and defensive measures resumed, Johnson's and Haskell's guns were posted for use as occasion might arise. Lamkin's mortars remained, as they have done ever since, in position bearing on Fort Harrison. While these occurrences transpired on the lines below Richmond active movements were also going on upon the right of our line below Petersburg. Lieut.-Col. Pegram, with Brander's and Ellett's batteries, participated in an attack made by Heth upon the enemy's left. On the following day (October 1), with Brander's and Cayce's batteries, he again took part in the combined attack of Heth and Wilcox. Col. Pegram warmly commends Capt. Brander and Lieut. Hollis, commanding these batteries, for their gallantry and efficiency on this occasion. On the day succeeding (2d) the enemy, attacking Heth's line, was effectually repulsed by the vigorous co-operation of Ellett's battery with the infantry, Cayce's and Gregg's batteries also assisting from their respective positions. On October 8 (7) Haskell's and Johnson's battalions, north of James River, shared in the repulse of the enemy by our troops on the Darbytown and New Market roads, and performed their part with accustomed energy and success. On this occasion Maj. Haskell, narrowly escaping with his life, received a grazing wound on the head from a minie-ball, and Lieut. McQueen, of one of his batteries (Garden's), was severely wounded.

Haskell's battalion, under Capt. Garden, was again slightly engaged on the 12th (13th) in repelling feeble attacks of the enemy. Corporal Fulsher, of Flanner's battery, performed on this occasion a service deserving of special mention to his honor. Explosion having occurred among some ammunition improperly exposed, wounding six men, this soldier, though himself wounded, caught up several shells with burning fuses and extinguished them in a pool of water near by, and this when other shells were bursting around him.

On October 27 the enemy made a simultaneous attack on our lines below Richmond and on our right flank beyond Petersburg. His advance below Richmond was general and in considerable force. It was, however, repelled with comparative ease, the artillery rendering as usual, its share of service. Haskell's and Johnson's battalions operated against the enemy's flanking on our extreme left as far as the Williamsburg and even the Nine-Mile road, and thence across to Charles City road. Hardaway's and Starks' battalions met the direct attack on their front between the Darbytown road and Fort Harrison. On this occasion Lieut. C. H. Wilkes, commanding Clutter's battery while gallantly discharging his duty, fell at his post mortally wounded. No further attempt has since been made by the enemy on the line north of James River, and the field artillery has remained there, with supporting troops, quietly awaiting such further service as future operations of the enemy may render necessary.

The enemy on October 27 experience on the extreme right below Petersburg as serious reverse as on the left below Richmond. Early in the day, when encountered by the cavalry alone, his numbers proved of avail to advance, gradually pressing back our horsemen to and across the Boydton plank road. Hart's battery, resolutely served, rendered valuable service in checking that advance. Is faithful commander, Capt. Hart, received in the engagement a severe wound. Subsequently McGregor's and Graham's batteries effectively co-operated in the combined attack which drove back the enemy in confusion and with a heavy loss. Two of Lieut.-Col. Pegram's batteries (Ellett's, under Lieut. Hollis, and Gregg's) also participated in the sharp conflict on this wing that afternoon, Gregg's battery being partially and Ellett's sharply engaged and contributing to the success of the day. After this signal reverse the enemy for some time attempted no movement of consequence, though skirmishing and shelling were continuously practiced on considerable portions of the lines, and at times with much severity.

On December 7 an extensive raid by a large force of the enemy being in progress along the Weldon railroad, toward Belfield and beyond, our cavalry hastened to arrest the operation, attended by Hart's, McGregor's, and Graham's batteries. Their guns were effectual in repelling the enemy at Hicksford and admonishing him speedily to retrace his steps. Our infantry column, which followed in pursuit of this raiding force, was accompanied by four batteries, under Lieut.-Col. Pegram and Maj. Owen. They were not able to obtain a fair opportunity at the enemy, or more than a slight skirmish, owing to his prompt retreat, and after a tour of seven days' extremely hard service, in severe weather and through roads scarcely passable, returned to camp. This effort closed the campaign. Nothing significant has since transpired.

While the campaign around Richmond and Petersburg had thus progressed to its close, that portion of our army detached under Gen. Early on June 18, and operating mainly in the Valley of Virginia, had been engaged in a series of movements and conflicts of very great importance the artillery performing throughout a conspicuous part. Nelson's and Braxton's battalions (Second Corps), which accompanied the expedition to Lynchburg to meet Hunter, though marching with great effort, could not reach that place in time to deal a decisive blow to that atrocious dispenser of fire and fury to the defenseless. He had hastily retreated. Gen. Early was making as rapidly as possible toward the Ohio. On June 22 these two battalions joined the artillery of Gen. Breckinridge's command, and all the other troops under Gen. Early near Salem in Roanoke County. Thence the Army of the Valley moved by the direct route to Staunton. Here in the delay of two days which occurred some judicious adjustments in his command were made by Gen. Long, chief of artillery, Second Corps. Leaving Maj. Leyden, of the Department of Southwestern Virginia, in charge of a reserve camp of batteries least efficient, he fitted out with the best guns McLaughlin's battalion and a force of horse artillery. The army thus moved from Staunton for the lower Valley with three efficient battalions of artillery-Nelson's, Braxton's, and McLaughlin's-under Lieut.-Col. King, having forty reliable guns well equipped, and ten additional also well provided, to serve with the cavalry. Encountering little resistance on any part of the route, Gen. Early's forces crossed the Potomac into Maryland, at Shepherdstown, on July 5 and 6. On the morning of the 9th they advanced upon Fredericktown. The enemy had evacuated that place, but was found in force on the line of the Monocacy a mile or two to the east, the railroad bridge and the ford below, on the Georgetown road, being the principal points of demonstration. Here a number of our guns were judiciously posted to bear upon the opposite side and operated with great effect, when McCausland's cavalry and Gordon's infantry, having crossed the stream, attacked the enemy and were met by him in line of battle at right angles to the river. Taken in flank and reverse by our artillery, the enemy's line immediately gave way and was soon routed and driven from the ford and bridge. The victory was complete.

Officers and men of the artillery behaved on this occasion with accustomed fidelity. Lieut.-Col.'s Nelson, Braxton, and King and Maj. McLaughlin were engaged throughout the day in maneuvering and fighting their commands. With the exception of Lieut. Hobson, of Kirkpatrick's battery (an officer beloved for his worth and admired for his gallantry), who was killed by a musket-ball near the close of the action, and Lieut. Southall, acting assistant adjutant-general, painfully wounded, the loss in the artillery on this occasion was slight.

The artillery subsequently accompanied the army in its demonstration against Washington City; then with it recrossed the Potomac at White's Ford on the 14th, and encamped for a few days at Leesburg; thence it proceeded across the Blue Ridge at Snicker's Gap, encamped near Berryville, and held the adjacent fords of the Shenandoah. King's battalion was here engaged in repelling an attempt of the enemy to cross at Castleman's Ferry. From this position the army retired before the enemy's force, the main body moving by White Post to Newtown. Lieut.-Col. Nelson, however, with two batteries accompanied Ramseur's division to Winchester. Ramseur attacked the enemy but was unsuccessful, and Kirkpatrick's battery was lost. The guns had been advanced so close to the enemy that it was impossible to withdraw them when the infantry gave way. Col. Nelson and his command elicited warm commendations for their gallantry in this affair.

Gen. Early, after retiring to Strasburg and allowing the enemy to occupy Winchester and push his advance to Newtown, turned upon him a few days later and drove him in great haste through Winchester toward Martinsburg. His retreat was so rapid that little punishment could be inflicted on him. Gen. Early subsequently pursued him across the Potomac at Williamsport, but so returned into Virginia, and after some time resumed position at Strasburg. During these movements the artillery could do little more than march and counter-march.

Sheridan now commanded the enemy in the Valley. Gen. Early moved back before his large force to Fisher's Hill and took position. Meanwhile re-enforcements arrived for Gen. Early. Cutshaw's battalion of artillery, accompanying Gen. Anderson with Kershaw's division of infantry, and Johnston's and Shoemaker's batteries of horse artillery, accompanying Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's division of cavalry, reached Front Royal on the 14th, and were engaged in driving off the enemy on the 15th. The enemy, after demonstrating a few days in front of Fisher's Hill, retired. Gen. Early again pursued, and, driving out of Winchester the force there remaining, once more occupied the town. The artillery was but little used on this advance. Gen. Long, being now taken ill, turned over the command of the artillery to Lieut.-Col. Nelson on August 19, and Capt. Kirkpatrick came into command of Nelson's battalion. The enemy, still with occasional skirmishers, in which our artillery took part, retired, and reached Harper's Ferry on the 21st.

Our troops remained in the neighborhood of Charlestown till the 25th. Moving thence to Shepherdstown, the army afterward encamped at Bunker Hill, and on the 31st Milledge's and Massie's batteries accompanied Rodes' division to Martinsburg, and Massie's was engaged with the enemy's cavalry and artillery. Kirkpatrick's battery received guns in place of those lost July 20. The army then moved to and encamped near Stephenson's Depot.

September 9 Col. Carter, having been detached from his immediate command below Richmond, arrived and took command of the artillery with Gen. Early's army, in place of Gen. Long, disabled by sickness. From this date to the 19th several movements occurred, with considerable skirmishing on the line toward Martinsburg.

On the 19th was fought a sanguinary battle near Winchester. Ramseur's division, aided by Col. Nelson's artillery, first received Sheridan's attack on the Berryville turnpike, and well held their ground. Braxton's battalion, artillery, with Rodes' and Gordon's divisions, was then hurried up and posted on Ramseur's left, and received the concentrated assault hurled against that point. The artillery did noble service. Nelson's guns held back the enemy on the right and enabled Ramseur's infantry to rally after being much broken; and Braxton's pieces, in the center, were equally effective, sweeping from the field the enemy's masses as they rushed on, pursuing Gordon's yielding line, and enabling a portion of Rodes' division to dash in and drive back their shattered column a considerable distance. Unhappily the accomplished division commander, Gen. Rodes, here fell when his practiced skill was greatly needed. Meanwhile Breckinridge's division, with King's artillery battalion, which had held the Martinsburg turnpike, was removed toward the right and Gen.'s Fitzhugh Lee and Lomax left to withstand the enemy's large force of cavalry. This, however, becoming, impracticable one of Breckinridge's brigades was detached to aid Gen. Lee in keeping back the enemy's cavalry. At the same time the enemy's main force was massed nearer to their cavalry and advanced on Gordon's left. This necessarily gave ground to the rear, and our whole left wing swung back nearly at right angles to the original front, Braxton's guns at the salient still maintaining their hold and doing noble service. King's battalion held a hill in rear of Breckinridge's line, fronting to the left, and Breathed's guns, of the Horse Artillery, were operating with good effect from point as occasion offered. Late in the day the right was still steady, but the left was becoming more and critical. The enemy's cavalry in driving back Fitzhugh Lee's small force dashed through the infantry brigade sent to his support and captured many of its men. Our left still receding, the center became more and more salient, and had also to be gradually drawn back. The retrograde movement was, of course, each time more difficult and the infantry was becoming unmanageable.

Fortunately (says Col. Carter), the artillery was under perfect control to the last, and maneuvered and fought with untiring courage. The guns retired from point to point, halting, unlimbering, and firing, while efforts were made by general officers to rally the infantry.

Near the close of the day Col. Carter received a painful wound from a fragment of shell, which compelled him to turn over the command of the artillery to Lieut.-Col. Nelson. Happily, it did not permanently disable him. For a fuller account of the battle I refer to Col. Carter's intelligent and interesting report. It is, however, just that one or two more of his important statements be here quoted:

The whole army (he adds) will testify to the stout resistance made by the artillery in this long and exhausting struggle. It may be safely said that had the other arms of service done their duty as faithfully as did the artillery the army might have rested afterward on the Potomac. Our loss of the day was mainly due to the enemy's immense excess in cavalry. This, by enveloping our left, forced it steadily back and ultimately compelled the abandonment of the field. For a strictly defensive battle as this soon became I had not artillery enough. Another artillery battalion to have held the Martinsburg turnpike and the heights northwest of Winchester would have prevented the fatal progress of the enemy's cavalry.

Three guns were lost on this occasion-two lent by Lieut.-Col. King to the cavalry, and another from the same battalion late in the evening on the retreat. Cutshaw's battalion was all the time absent with Kershaw's division on an expedition resisting a force of the enemy east of the Blue Ridge in Fauquier and Culpeper Counties.

After this serious reverse of September 19 the army retired during the night, and reaching Fisher's Hill, beyond Strasburg, formed line of battle early on the 20th, King's guns on the right, Braxton's next and Nelson's still farther to the left. Owing to some misapprehension or oversight certain precautions recommended by the acting chief of artillery in adjusting the line on the left, where the enemy's movements indicated his chief attack was to be made, were neglected and the result proved again disastrous.

On the evening of the 22d the enemy made a dash upon our extreme left, occupied by Gen. Lomax's cavalry. It soon gave way, and the enemy swept down the line, capturing 4 of Nelson's 2 guns, from Lomax's Horse Artillery, 7 of Braxton's and 1 of King's-14 in all. Yet the artillery was not in fault. Col. Nelson affirms that they did their duty fully and efficiently, as testified by all officers and men who had opportunity to observe. All was brought off which could possibly be secured, and while retiring halted, unlimbered and checked the enemy from point to point, that the trains might be gotten safely to the rear.

The army still moved back on the 24th beyond New Market retiring in line of battle, and portions of each artillery battalion from time to time taking position and operating effectually in keeping the enemy in check. While assisting in keeping the enemy at bay, about seven miles from New Market, Capt. John. L. Massie, of Nelson's battalion-a gentleman of fine character, superior powers, and high culture, a soldier of tried merit, and a battery commander unsurpassed in the service-received a mortal wound. Lieut. N. B. Cooke, a promising young officer of Braxton's battalion, was also wounded.

The army then deflected toward Port Republic, and arriving at Brown's Gap on the 25th encamped. Here it was joined on the 26th by Kershaw's division and Cutshaw's artillery battalion. On the same day Col. Carter again reported for duty and resumed command of the artillery. Carpenter's and Hardwicke's batteries were engaged in skirmishers near Port Republic on the 26th and 27th.

On the 28th the army was again put in motion, and marched by Waynesborough to Mount Sidney, and thence slowly down the Valley, the advance reaching Hupp's Hill, below Strasburg, on October 13. Here an affair occurred between a force of the enemy and Gordon's division with Conner's brigade, of Kershaw's division, attended by Fry's battery. In this affair the enemy was repulsed, with considerable loss. Lieut. S. S. France, acting adjutant to Col. Carter, was on this occasion severely wounded.

Meanwhile the cavalry marched by the back road, and on the morning of the 8th encountered the enemy. Thomson's and Johnston's guns were used with good effect to the last. Their supports giving way at critical moment the six guns were lost. As on other occasions the artillery officers and men faithfully did their duty.

On the next day (October 9) Shoemaker's battery and a section of Thomson's accompanying Lomax's cavalry as a guard to the wagon train on the Valley turnpike near Woodstock, were greatly exposed by the irresolution of the cavalry, but were all, except one of Thomson's guns, saved by the extraordinary gallantry of artillery officers and men. On this occasion Capt. Carpenter, of Braxton's battalion, was particularly distinguished. Observing the hazard occasioned by the failure of the cavalry, he pressed forward as a volunteer, and by judicious intrepidity succeeded in rallying a few of the fugitives so as again and again to keep the enemy at bay. He thus contributed materially toward rescuing the guns and saving the trains. I regret to add that in this gallant service he received a painful wound resulting in the loss of an arm.

On October 19, at a very early hour, the artillery was moved forward with the main body of the army to attack the enemy beyond Cedar Creek and by 10 a.m. remarkable results had been achieved. Two corps of the enemy had been surprised and routed, their camps captured and they driven from the field. The Sixth Corps had been dislodged from its strong position near Middletown chiefly by the fire of our artillery, and the whole hostile army driven three or four miles. Twenty-four pieces of artillery by the enemy's admission (17 are known to us) had been captured, and some 1,500 prisoners. There was a lull from 10 to 3.30 p.m. our line of battle ranging across the turnpike at right angles north of Middletown, Wofford's brigade on the right, then Wharton, the Pegram crossing the turnpike, then Ramseur considerably in advance, then Kershaw, then Gordon, then an interval of about a mile, and then Rosser's cavalry, which, with Thomson's battery, had joined Gen. Early on his last advance after October 1.

About 3 p.m. six of Cutshaw's pieces and two of Jones' were posted to guard the interval between Gordon and Rosser. On the enemy's attack at 3.30 Gordon's line gave way and the guns were retired by Gen. Gordon's order. The guns operating with the other divisions held their positions until the left gave way. They were then posted on commanding ground 100 to 200 yards in rear, and aided by a small infantry force, held the enemy in check for more than an hour and until ammunition failed. Other guns were posted on the heights south of Cedar Creek to cover the withdrawal of the infantry and artillery from the field.

An important victory had thus been strangely reversed, but everything was brought safely across Cedar Creek. Night had come and no further danger was apprehended. But a more serious disaster now occurred. The artillery being on the march in column toward Hupp's Hill, a small body of the enemy's cavalry charged the train on the right flank and by their bugle blasts, cheers, horses' feet clattering, and pistol shots in the darkness, occasioned an incurable panic in the infantry, already seriously disorganized. The artillery officers and men appealed in vain for muskets, with which they would have stoutly and effectually defended their guns. They could not secure them, and the result was a large capture by the enemy, as elating to them as it was disgraceful to us. All the guns taken from the enemy in the morning and 23 of our own fell into their hands. "One hundred men in an organized state, with muskets," Col. Carter thinks, "could have saved the train." As it was, the loss would not have been so great but for a very narrow passage south of Strasburg, between the river on one side and the bluff on the other, and had not the road been blocked with ordnance wagons, ambulances, and 1,400 prisoners, and the difficulty of proceeding been increased by the breaking of the bridge near Strasburg. This instance suggests the desirableness of having a certain proportion of artillerymen ever armed with carbines, at least when serving in campaigns like this of the Valley.

It is due to these admirable soldiers to state that on this occasion, as previously they behaved with exemplary fidelity. Officers and men did their whole duty, and throughout remained uninfluenced by the general panic.

After this misfortune the army retreated to New Market, in the neighborhood of which it remained with occasional advances and skirmishes with the enemy, in which the artillery slightly participated, until the last of November, when it withdrew to the neighborhood of Harrisonburg; and active operations having ceased for the season, the artillery subsequently went into winter quarters not far from Staunton.

In the whole of the eventful campaign of 1864 the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia bore, it will be perceived, a distinguished part and in every portion of the widely extended field of operation rendered signal service. In common with other arms, in so great a contest against vastly preponderating numbers, it again and again suffered severely, having many valuable officers and men killed and wounded and horses destroyed, and in two or three unfortunate affairs an unusual number of guns captured, making our loss in guns considerable on the whole, though in several instances valuable captures were made from the enemy. But it has everywhere and at all times proved reliable, how great severe the emergency. In the wildest fury of battle, under ceaseless harassment and exposure from sharpshooters and shelling on the lines on the toilsome march, amid all the hardships of the trenches through summer, fall, and winter, and when steadily breasting the tide of reverse against friends unnerved or overpowered and foes flushed with triumph the brave officers and men of this branch of our army have almost without exception exemplified the very highest virtues of Christian soldiers battling for their faith, their honor, and their homes.

To mention all who have thus admirably done their duty would be well night to repeat the rolls of our battalions and companies. I can only designate those chief commanders whose position has necessarily rendered their services most conspicuous, and refer to their reports and this of their sub-commanders for fuller details. Gen. Long, until disabled by sickness managed his command (artillery Second Corps) with characteristic judgment and vigor; and Col. Carter who then succeeded him, earned, as usual, high encomiums for the care, sagacity, and skill, as well as boldness, with which he handled the command, as also did Lieut.-Col. Nelson during the brief but important intervals in which the command devolved upon him. Gen. Alexander, ever active, full of resources, energetic, and enterprising, conducted his command (artillery First Corps) at all times with skill and success, and in the interval of his absence from a disabling wound his place was well supplied on one part of his line by Col. Cabell, on another by Lieut.-Col. Huger. Col. Walker, zealous, bold, and vigorous, directed his force (artillery Third Corps) with efficiency throughout the campaign, and was aided in his responsible charge by the judicious co-operation of Col. Cutts; and Col. Jones, first as chief of artillery of Gen. Beauregard's command, and subsequently of Gen. Anderson's corps, earned high commendation by diligent, intelligent, and successful attention to his arduous trust on a portion of the line most exposed and harassed during all the latter months of the campaign.

These officers speak in high term of their subordinates and of the men in their respective commands, and describe instances more than a few of extraordinary good conduct and admirable achievement. Their reports and those of battalion commanders are herewith submitted.

Of the several members of my own staff-Capt. Dudlely D. Pendleton, assistant adjutant-general; Lieut. George W. Peterkin and Acting Lieut. . Charles Hatcher, aides-de-camp; Capt. John Esten Cooke and Lieut. E. P. Dandridge, assistant inspectors-general; Maj. John G. Barnwell, ordnance officer; Dr. John Graham, surgeon, and Maj. John Page, quartermaster-it is just I should say that they have uniformly discharged their duties with faithful alacrity and to my entire satisfaction.

In conclusion, I am enabled to report that our artillery remains at the close of this arduous campaign in a condition of most encouraging efficiency, and that with reasonable effort toward supplying it with a few guns, to replace some lost in unfortunate affairs that have been described, and with horses to re-established a number of teams disabled in action or worn down by hard service, it will be in full strength for the campaign of the ensuing spring. It may be confidently relied upon to accomplish, by the Divine blessing, during the next season, as it has so well done through the last, its entire share in the defense of our country.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,

Brig. Gen. and Chief of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia.

Bibliographic Information : Letter Reproduced from The War of The Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series 1, Volume 42, Serial No. 87, Pages 858-866, Broadfoot Publishing Company, Wilmington, NC, 1997.

Return to Full Valley Archive